Homey Touches.

David's picture

Well, we finished installing the flooring. Everything with it's installation went pretty smooth. The wood I had was just barely enough to finish the job. Each plank spans the entire length of the room so there aren't any joints. For the most part anyway. I did have to piece together the last three. Which, I must say, looks even better than the full length planks because I think it adds a little more flavour to the floor. Had I known this, I probably would have intentionally cut all of them so that there would be jointing across the whole floor. But it's ok because I saved time and nails leaving them in full lengths. Also, the last three are located at the end where the seating is supposed to be. So they will never be seen.

I think the whole place looks really rustic. Like it's straight out of an old western movie. We gone ahead and added a few pieces of furniture, to give it a more homey feeling. There is a gap between the wood flooring and two of the walls where the rocket stove flue, encased in cob, is supposed to go. Well, the floor looked unfinished with the big 'crack' going along the wall, so I felt I should fill it in with something. I decided to use an old metal foot locker. I laid the locker on it back, right into the crack. It fit pretty good, and now we have some additional storage. Although it still looked out of place, so we draped a blanket over the top of it to to hide it's ugliness. We also brought in a folding table, a chair I refurbished, a barrel and a couple of old steamer trunks. It's not much, but it made a big difference.

And then I decided to do something with that door. We are currently using a length of rope to tie the door closed which is pretty annoying. It was especially annoying trying to open the door from the outside. With my fat fingers, I had to pretty much grip the edge of the for with my finger nails and pull the door open with out ripping off my nails. Don't get me wrong, the door is easy to move and glides like the dickens, but it takes a bit of torque to start it. Anyhow, I've been tinkering with the door latch and decided it was time to put it up.

It's really nothing much, just a slide latch I carved. I used some scrap 2x2 cedar that we have, and carved out an arm, handle and brace. I used a buck knife to do most of the carving, because I really like the look of all the tooling on the finished pieces. On the brace, I even carved out a little horseshoe (Dorothy loves horses). I used a wooden knob as the stop in the back so that when you opened the latch, the whole thing wouldn't come sliding out. And then I used a wooden cabinet handle for another brace. This is only temporary until I can carve another. And that's about all there is.

I nailed it all to the door, and it's working just fine. Sadly, I'm unable to actually latch the door closed because I need to put in the door trim before I can make up the latch catch. (rhyming is unintentional) I still need to make door handles and another latch to use on the outside of the door. I have an old horseshoe I'm planning to use for one of the handles (I'm still working the bugs out on this idea.). I also have a plan for the outside latch. But that ones a secret.

And well, ... that's about all we got so far. Here are a few pictures of the furnishings and the latch. Enjoy!